Sunday, September 21, 2008

RUNNING IN HONG KONG

I'm in Hong Kong on business and did a nice run along the Kowloon Peninsula promenade this morning. As I left my hotel, I ran along the Promenade along the harbor. The path goes over a pedistrian bridge offering a nice view of the harbour and the central city. There were quite a few swimmers in the harbour getting in their morning exercise. Since it was already in the mid 80's and 75% humidity - the swimming actually looked inviting. After awhile, the promenade takes me to the area called Tsimshatsui. There I came across the Avenue of Stars. This is Hong Kong's equivalent to Hollywood's Walk of Fame. But their movie stars are a bit less western: As I ran along this street, I came across a star that was the most appropriate for my morning run: His name really intrigued me so I did a little research - turns out that Sir Run Run is a famous director. He and his brother Run Me started a film market business in Singapore and they even were backers of one of my favorite films, called appropriately enough, Blade Runner. That night though, I got the "opportunity" to live through my first typhoon. Typhoon Hagupit hit Hong Kong, starting out as a class 3 (out of 10 scale):
Then I looked at the building across my window at 10:00 pm - they had almost all their windows shattered (note in the video - if the windows were still whole, they would appear black, where you see light the windows have been blown out. Sorry, the "video" was taken with my digital camera).
Finally, it may take a bit, but watch the outer pane of the double paned window in my hotel room get blown out by Typhoon Hagupit (that was the 4th window to go in my room - listen carefully at the end you will hear the window hit the wall and other windows shattering). At this time, the typhoon was a Class 8.

6 comments:

Peter Lubbers said...

Hi Alan, have fun in Hong Kong!

Alan said...

Thanks Peter. Its a busienss trip, so inside the office most of the time. But the morning runs should be nice. Shanghai later this week, but with air so polluted it can be cut with a knife, not sure how my runs will be there.

Clara said...

That's awesome you're in Hong Kong! Aren't you afraid of getting lost and confused on your runs? :)

Unknown said...

kowloon's promonade is very nice. although it's neither long enough for you nor very running friendly. hope you have a great trip and enjoy some great food, alan. :)

Alan said...

Clara - yes, sometimes I am worried about getting lost, but I try to map out routes in advance and also look at landmarks as I run, so that helps. No matter what - ot is beyound awesome each time I run in a new country or city. Hope you had a great marathon run!!

Alan said...

Hao, true it isn't that long, but while I am on business trips my runs are generally a bit shorter (time change, meetings, strange routes, etc.). But I got some nice runs in, leaving the harbor and running through some of the shopping district too. I actually found the route a bit runner friendly and saw at least 2 to 3 dozen other runners/jogger (plus a fair amnount of swimmers, walkers and Tai Chi people out there each morning).