As you may be aware from prior posts, I submitted my name to the selection committee for the Badwater Ultramarathon (135 miles from the lowest point in North America to the portal leading to the highest point in the continental United States.....through the Death Valley desert). The application, website, etc. were all very clear that the odds of being selected are very low. See here: Badwater Qualifying
I figured my chances of being selected equaled approximately ZERO. Last night I received the following:
Congratulations! You have been accepted to compete in the 2008 Badwater Ultramarathon. You are part of a select group who will participate in what is recognized across the globe as “the world’s toughest footrace.” In the near future, we will include your name and biographical information on the online roster. When we do, please check it for errors.
Here are the steps you need to take now:
1) Please let us know immediately if you will be UNABLE to race in July.
2) ENTRY FEE PAYMENT
3) Make your hotel reservations immediately in Death Valley and Lone Pine. All of the hotel info is on the website at http://www.badwater.com/2008web/hotels.html. Be sure to mention “Badwater” or whatever other code is mentioned on the webpage when calling the hotels. Do this NOW as the hotels sell out quickly.
4) Start organizing your crew and vehicle. Have backup crewmembers ready, in case your intended crew can’t participate as planned. Make sure all your crewmembers study the website extensively, as well as the forthcoming Race Magazine. Be sure they know the rules and also how to take care of you, and themselves, in the heat! If you need more crew members, you might use our online “bulletin board” to find them:
5) If you haven’t already, please let us know which, if any, charity you will support with your Badwater efforts. We will list your charity information, and weblink, on the race roster next to your name. (This is true for any charity, not only for our Official Charity.)
6) Spread the word! Alert the media (newspapers, magazines, radio, television, Internet, running clubs, chamber of commerce, and more) in your area that you have been selected to compete in this prestigious race. Send them the press release from the race website at this link:
Keep the media posted about your training, preparation, and plans as the months progress between now and July, as well as after the race. Be sure to send us a copy, and/or weblinks, of any media coverage you receive!
7) Be sure you are subscribed to our e-mail newsletter. We also encourage your sponsors, friends, and crew to subscribe. Click http://www.adventurecorps.com/lists.html to sign up. Remember that we are an Internet-based organization, so please stay tuned to our website and the newsletter for further information as the race gets closer.
Best of luck with your preparation and please let us know if there is anything further that we can do to help.
Congratulations again! We look forward to sharing the road with you in July.
Al Arnold, Jay Birmingham, Jeannie Ennis, Don Meyer, and Chris Kostman
(The 2008 Badwater Ultramarathon Application Review Committee)
More about the committee: http://www.badwater.com/2008web/2008appcomm.html
So, like my friend Eric Clifton, I will soon be Running on the Sun (well, actually, I'll be Walking on the Sun)! And, a special note to all my friends and Ultraholics conspirators: anyone interested in crewing?
Tussey mOUTaiNBACK 50-mile (forest) Road Nationals: pushing Vespa and levitation to the edge - I'm really happy I could squeezed these 3rd Nationals in my schedule this year: it was really tight, but I was able to stop by Pennsylvania on my way to a...