Monday, March 10, 2008

A CLOSE CALL

RUN ALAN RUN!

Sunday I was out doing my long trail run in the hills. Had a really good run with only minor irritation in my piriformis. On the way out the park I was running down the road. About 200 feet ahead of me I saw a black car suddenly swerve between two other cars (it appeared the driver attempted to avoid an opossum in the road...unfortunately for the animal it was already dead, I noticed it on the run up earlier that day). After just missing the two cars, it over-corrected and spun 180 degrees and was flying backwards...directly at me. Not a lot of fun realizing a car is barreling down on you and not being sure if it will go straight, left or right. I dashed into the two lanes (luckily there was no on-coming traffic) about 1 second before the car flew over exactly where I had just been standing. It then went off the road down the embankment.



I pulled out my blackberry and called 911. I climbed down the hill and helped the driver and carried her son of around 4 or 5 out of the car. Luckily they were not hurt.



Later that day I witnessed more speeding vehicles when I watched my eldest son win a trophy at his Scout's Pinewood Derby races. I enjoyed that a lot more than the morning experience.

2 comments:

Mark Tanaka (Ultrailnakaman) said...

Dang, Alan, that's majorly intense! Glad no one was hurt.

Alan said...

Yeah - but for some poison oak, everyone was fine. Thank God.