Thursday, March 13, 2008

SIDE EFFECTS OF MY NEAR-MISS


As mentioned in the post Close Call below, I was running and was nearly hit by an out-of-control car.

Well, when I climbed down the ravine to help carry out the boy, it has now become obvious that there was poison oak in the ravine. I don't think I came in direct contact, but my right arm that I wrapped around the boy to carry him is now covered in a poison oak rash, as is a little of my same side and my right knee.



I guess the car landed in a patch of that fun plant. While I am itching a bit, I feel real bad for the young driver and her son as they must be covered in it from getting out of the car and climbing through it (and she returned once too to look for her cell phone). They must be miserable now.

As I hear the trail at the American River 50 miler that I am running in a few weeks has lots of poison oak, I'll just put this down as "conditioning".

2 comments:

Rajeev Char said...

Talk about living on the edge! Jeez that was close. Keep safe dude...
Just read your heat training bit - NUTS! Make sure you don't melt away before you get to the race... ;-)
Happy training, stay healthy ... and away from wayward cars.

Alan said...

Thanks Raj - I'm still itching. But I think it is starting to dry up.