Friday, March 28, 2008

DEATH VALLEY / BADWATER HEAT TRAINING

I have been increasing my hot weather training the best as I can. I have used my stationary bike with heat lamps placed around it and a space heater blowing in my face.

The other day I picked up my desert running hat and have been running my training runs in it to get used to the added head cover and the feel of the hat/flaps.

I have also been using the men's locker room sauna at the local gym. I tend to go in after my runs and stay between 20 minutes to 30 minutes. I start with about 5 minutes just sitting in the sauna between 190 and 195 degrees and then I get up and spend the next 15 to 25 minutes pacing back and forth or doing sit-ups(sometimes wearing a fleece jacket over my running top). I plan on increasing the length of time in the sauna to at least one hour.

Overall, the high temps are not too bad - maybe my self-created automobile sauna (windows rolled up, heater on full blast, wearing a wool jacket) might have helped a bit. This sauna is a lot more comfortable than the auto-sauna or other options.

2 comments:

Mark Tanaka (Ultrailnakaman) said...

Hmm, maybe training for Badwater doesn't look too bad. You crack me up, man!

Alan said...

Well.....I took another look at the sauna photos I posted and it appears that I might have been hallucinating from the high heat.